Thursday, 6 October 2011

Target Audience Research

A target audience is formed in several different groups. These specific group of people can be targeted with a certain age group, gender, marital status, occupation, etc.
Knowing who their appropriate target audience are is very important in the marketing and advertising industry. It's better to target just one certain group when promoting a product; so that it would be possible to target them instead of targeting everybody and turning up not to be appealing for everyone. It is important to become familiar with your target audience effectively, in order for the audience to understand that you are appealing your product to them. The promoter should know what his/her audiences' taste, such as their habits, behaviour, likes, and dislikes.

Primarily, a target audience is defined by gender and age range. Because I will be doing a theatrical trailer based on  the genre of romance/drama, my target audience would be based mostly on female with a hint of male. In my experience, I feel that mostly females will be more interested in romance with a hint of male target audience due to the request or command of their female companion. In my point of view, I believe that romance is not just for women, as males nowadays does enjoy to watch a tad of romance every once in a while. In my opinion, I think that many males watches romantic films if the film is starring a good actor/actress, but also this may lead them to watch it to make them feel satisfied when they are feeling depressed.

Also, I will base my romantic theatrical trailer typically with the age range of the age of 13-24, teenagers to young adults. I feel that this age range is perfect because many teenagers are becoming more interested in love and romance whilst the young adults may think of romance as their inspiration or somewhat think of this as an experience that they can relate with. I think that the more precise I am with my chosen audience, the more I will be with my chosen product, suggesting that I have a better chance on creating a theatrical trailer that they would want to see.

For this film genre of romance/drama, I will also need to consider the marital status of the audience. People that are single may be more interested in romance films because some may like to see or experience what it feels like on how to be loved in real life. Others may want to watch it because one may have been through to a "break up" and somehow they yearned to be loved again. They may use romantic films as a guide or inspiration to enable them to know what to do in the future. Another point could be because they might want to watch other people's relationship.

However, for people who are in a relationship, may want to watch romantic movies with their partner to guide them on how to run a perfect one. However, this may lead them on a wrong path because one may expect too much with their partner on what they saw on the film. Another case would be because the woman could bring their partner to the cinema to watch a romantic film with them to give the male companion hints on how girls should be treated just like in the film world.

No comments:

Post a Comment